Everything About Sedation Dentistry
When patients experience anxiety about going to the dentist, they benefit from sedation dentistry, which can make them more comfortable. At your dental appointment, your dentist may prescribe dental sedation to help you relax during the treatment or procedure.
What is sedation dentistry?
Dental sedation is designed to help you feel calm and comfortable during your visit to the dentist. At our practice, we offer three different types of sedation dentistry:
- Oral sedation: This is the most common type of sedation dentistry. It’s simply a pill you swallow, usually an hour before your procedure. The pill will put you in a calm, relaxing state.
- Nitrous oxide: Also known as laughing gas, nitrous oxide is the most common type of sedation dentistry. It’s administered through a mask that you wear over your nose. The gas will relax you and make you feel calm. When inhaled, nitrous oxide relaxes the body, and the patient is able to fall into a euphoric state. Patients tend to experience less anxiety and pain during the procedure. The effects of nitrous oxide wear off quickly, and patients are able to safely drive themselves home after the procedure.
- IV sedation: This form of dental sedation is much more intense and puts you in a state that resembles general anesthesia. It’s administered through an IV, and its effects can last a few hours. IV sedation is for extreme cases of dental anxiety. You may have dental anxiety if you have had an unpleasant dental experience in the past or you have a strong gag reflex. Patients who undergo IV sedation usually feel groggy after a procedure, but they will be able to go home and resume normal activities.
Is sedation dentistry right for you?
Sedation dentistry may be right for you if you have a fear of the dentist or have trouble sitting still for long periods of time. Sedation dentistry is also helpful if you have complicated dental work that needs to be completed or if you’re getting multiple procedures done during a single visit.
Before your procedure, your sedation dentist will talk to you about which sedation method is right for you.
Benefits of sedation dentistry
Sedation dentistry offers patients a way to overcome their dental anxiety and receive the care they need. It’s ideal for patients with dental phobias, patients with sensitive gag reflexes, or patients who need a large amount of dental work. The major benefits offered by sedation dentistry include the following:
- Less anxiety, pain, and fear
- Little to no memory of the dental procedure
- Quicker recovery time
- Ability to undergo multiple procedures in a single appointment
- Heps patients with sensitive gag reflex
- Helps patients with special needs
Contact Fear Free Dental in Portland, Oregon, for the best dental care. Call Dentist in Portland, OR at (503) 291-0000 or visit 4455 Sw Scholls Ferry Rd Suite 101 Portland, Oregon, 97225 to schedule an appointment.